The work/life balance that we’re referring to allows physicians to spend more time on medicine, and less time on business tasks. It also provides predictable scheduling for nurses, and the assurance that their weeks don’t advance past 60-hours. And for physicians, it means reduced paperwork, the elimination of billing hassles, and lifting the burden of liability coverage.
More important, we offer our VA employees generous vacation and personal leave, including:
- 13 to 26 days of paid annual (vacation/personal) leave, depending on their profession (Annual leave begins to accrue immediately and can be used as it is earned.)
- 13 days of sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation
- 10 paid Federal holidays
- The Family and Medical Leave Act and the Family Friendly Leave Act allow employees to balance their work and family lives by taking reasonable amounts of leave for medical reasons, for the birth or adoption/foster care of a child, and for the care of a child, spouse, or parent who has a serious health problem
- The Voluntary Leave Transfer Program allows Federal employees to donate annual leave to other Federal employees who are experiencing a medical emergency
- Up to 15 days a year for authorized military leave for active reservists and National Guard members