Transition Your Military Experience to a Civilian Career at VA
As a transitioning service member, you know what it means to be dedicated to a cause and have the drive to achieve results. The motivation and wealth of training, experience and background you’ve gained in service should be put to use, right away.
Your deep understanding of Veterans is unmatched by civilian professionals. Such shared experience—with both your fellow Veteran colleagues and our patient population—will allow you to excel both personally and professionally at VA.
VA is developing a dedicated pipeline specifically for separating health care professionals, so your health care skills can now be applied directly to a position as a civilian. From military physicians and nurses to mental health providers, medics, hospital corpsmen, health service technicians and para rescue specialists, you will find a wide array of VA health professions opportunities across the country that can put your professional training and skills to work helping your fellow Veterans.
When you have a career with VA, you can:
- Utilize your knowledge and skills gained from serving in uniform
- Continue to provide care for those who have served
- Enjoy anywhere from 13-26 days paid time off your first year depending on your profession
- Buy back your military service time and apply it towards a civil service FERS pension
- Participate in the federal 401(k) (Thrift Savings Plan) with up to 5% in VA contributions
- Work at over 1,200 healthcare facilities covering all U.S. states and territories
- Reduce financial stress by knowing you have a job waiting for you upon leaving the military
- Enjoy an extensive bundle of VA benefits that are added to your military benefits
- Work in a professional, supportive environment where our patients—and you—can thrive
A culture of support for Veterans
The sacrifice of Veterans everywhere is the force behind our freedom. That’s why VA is committed to supporting Veterans as they transition to their careers back home. If you are leaving the military or are already a Veteran or an active Reserve or National Guard member, we invite you to pursue your career at VA by searching and applying for an opportunity. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read up on the hiring process, including how to navigate the process, job postings 101 and FAQs
- Check out the Department of Labor website for one-on-one assistance, training and job search help for transitioning military
- Learn about the Transition Assistance Program, which provides information, resources and tools to help you move from military to civilian life
- Visit LinkedIn for a free year of Prime membership that includes more than 14,000 learning courses and a learning path on military to civilian employment