VA Physician Job Detail
The VAMC in Memphis, TN consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a 60-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and nine community based outpatient clinics (CBOC). It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level I Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a 53-county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
The VAMC in Memphis is part of the VA MidSouth Healthcare Network, VISN 9, which includes facilities in Lexington and Louisville, KY; Huntington, WV; and Nashville and Mountain Home, TN
The Chief, Neurology Service provides administrative, clinical, and programmatic leadership for the Neurology Service to ensure achievement of the clinical, research, and education goals and applicable performance measures. The Chief, Neurology Service is accountable for the delivery of all health care by the staff of the Neurology Service. This responsibility includes the administration, management, and leadership of the entire Neurology Service. The Chief, Neurology Service is accountable for the assessment of the health care delivery system, as well as developing a plan for the delivery of health services to patients, consistent with the policies and guidelines of the Veterans' Health Administration. Additionally, the Chief, Neurology Service establishes a climate within Neurology Service that promotes optimum patient care. The incumbent reports to the Chief of Staff and serves as a key clinical resources for the Medical Center Director and the Chief of Staff and part of the key leadership team of the medical center.
Additional responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Hands on clinical work, oversight, and administration of all aspects of the Neurology Services, including an extensive research program, guidance and training for Neurology Service Residents and other trainees.
- Ensures the development, implementation, and maintenance of GEMS requirements in accordance with VHA and Medical Center policy. This involves developing and implementing environmental policies, procedures, and systems within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures that all business operations and health information practices within their respective operations are being measured for quantity and quality of the work performed, and conducted in continuing compliance with the laws, regulations and standards which govern those activities.
- Integrates customer service, including patient satisfaction and stakeholder support into a management plan.
- Participates in top-level decision and policy design that affects Neurology Service through collaboration with Medical Center administration, other service chiefs, and interdepartmental Supervisors.
- Directs health care programs, delegating authority and responsibility to meet both the medical center and service goals.
- Maintains specialty board certification, credentialing as a physician, and provides direct clinical care in his/her specialty as assigned by COS.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm; schedule can vary due to workload
Financial Discloser Report: Not Required
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician, Chief Neurology/#000000
Application Close Date
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Who May Apply
United States Citizens