The Amarillo VA Health Care System, a division of the Heart of Texas VA Health Care Network (VISN 17), provides primary specialty, and extended care of the highest quality to veterans throughout the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles, eastern New Mexico, and southern Kansas. Approximately 25,000 patients are treated annually. The Thomas E. Creek VA Medical Center located in Amarillo, Texas is the main campus where key administrative support services, inpatient, outpatient and specialty care serves are based. Inpatient care is provided with 44 operating beds for general medical, surgical, and intensive care. Geriatric and extended care is provided in the 120-bed skilled nursing home care unit. The AVAHCS provides programs such as the OEF/OIF/OND Program, Homeless Veterans Programs, Suicide Prevention, Compensation & Pension The Amarillo VA Health Care System also ensures health care is accessible to those Veterans residing in rural areas through four community-based outpatient clinics located in Lubbock, TX, Childress, TX, Dalhart, TX, and Clovis, NM. A Veterans Transportation Service (VTS) is available to provide service from CBOC's and rural communities to the Thomas E. Creek VA Medical Center.
Affiliations with Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, West Texas A&M University, Amarillo College, and Northeastern State University enable a wide variety of advanced educational opportunities in medicine, pharmacy, optometry and allied health programs. http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
**First applications will be reviewed January 22, 2018 and then every 2 weeks until filled**
Position may be filled prior to the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for this vacancy. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks. If filled prior to the closing date, recruitment will be terminated.
The Amarillo VA Health Care System is seeking a well qualified Supervisory Medical Technologist for a position in Amarillo, Texas. The incumbent at this level has full supervisory responsibility for a large staff of supervisory and non-supervisory personnel, including GS-09 and GS-11 MTs, and at least 1 subordinate team leader or supervisor at the next lower grade level. Recommends appointment, plans and assigns work, gives advice and counsel and evaluates work of subordinates. Is responsible for monitoring test analysis and specimen examinations to ensure acceptable levels of performance. Assures corrective action is initiated. Assures orientation, training and competency assessment of assigned staff. Develops and updates technical policy and procedure manuals. Ensures all staff are in compliance with accrediting and regulating bodies. Adjusts staffing levels or work procedures to accommodate resource allocation decisions made at the executive level.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to:
- Plans and schedules on-going work. Adjusts staffing levels or work procedures.
- Chooses methods of achieving work goals, objectives, and management strategies.
- Day-to-day supervision of highly complex test performance
- Is responsible for monitoring test analysis and specimen examinations to ensure acceptable levels of performance.
- Assures corrective action is initiated when test performance deviates from established performance specifications.
- Assures orientation, training, and competency assessment of staff.
- Implements and monitors quality management activities.
- Performs the full range of supervisory duties. Recommends appointment, plans and assigns work, gives advice and counsel, and evaluates work of subordinates.
- Provides assistance to the Service Chief by providing data required for meetings, internal and external requests form VISN or national entities.
Functional Statement Title/#: Supervisory Medical Technologist / 000000
Bargaining Unit Position: No
Area of Consideration: United State Citizens
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive are NOT available for this position.
Confidential Financial Disclosure Report is not required.
Application Close Date
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Who May Apply
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S., and excepted service employees.