This vacancy announcement establishes an "Open Continuous Announcement" for eligible applicants to be considered for Health System Administrator (Chief Executive Officer/Medical Center Director). This announcement will establish an inventory of applicants interested in a career as a CEO/MCD within the Veterans Health Administration.
The first list of eligible applicants will be reviewed on 1/30/2018. Applications received after this date will be reviewed every two weeks throughout the life of the announcement.
Important Note: All application packages remain eligible for consideration for 90 days after submission to the announcement. To remain eligible for consideration beyond 90 days, a new application submission is required to indicate your continued interest.
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. The Medical Center Director positions are located in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Veterans Health Administration (VHA).
This announcement requires you to submit a RESUME only. Please submit resume with a statement addressing the Technical Qualification and Executive Core Qualifications. See specific information under the "How to Apply" section.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is taking the first steps to realign its many services from several regions to districts.
The new regions under the MyVA alignment will allow VA to begin the process of integrating disparate organizational boundaries into a single regional framework to enhance internal coordination.
A vacancy may not be currently available in your preferred area. To review current vacancy locations please visit https://www.vacareers.va.gov/VASeniorLeadership/vasrl.asp
The Regional Map can be seen at: https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/docs/myva-5-regions-map.pdf
Recruitment and/or Relocation Incentives MAY be Authorized
Appraised Value Offer (AVO): AVO MAY be Authorized
VHA is home to the United States' largest integrated health care system consisting of 150 medical centers, nearly 1,400 community-based outpatient clinics, community living centers, Vet Centers and Domiciliaries. Together these health care facilities and the more than 53,000 independent licensed health care practitioners who work within them provide comprehensive care to more than 8.3 million Veterans each year.
VHA Medical Centers provide a wide range of services including traditional hospital-based services such as surgery, critical care, mental health, orthopedics, pharmacy, radiology and physical therapy. In addition, most of our medical centers offer additional medical and surgical specialty services including audiology & speech pathology, dermatology, dental, geriatrics, neurology, oncology, podiatry, prosthetics, urology, and vision care. Some medical centers also offer advanced services such as organ transplants and plastic surgery.
The CEO/MCD is responsible to the Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Director. The position requires the effective and economical direction, control, and operation of the VA Medical Center (VAMC). The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Full delegated line authority and responsibility for executive level management of the VAMC. Overall responsibility for planning, organizing, coordinating, controlling, reviewing, evaluating, and improving medical, administrative, and support operations of the medical facility.
- Makes final decisions which have a direct and substantial impact on the healthcare organization and programs. Such decisions affect the nature, scope, and quality of patient care programs and activities.
- Establishes VAMC policies and procedures consistent with the VISN, Veterans Health Administration, (VHA), and VA corporate guidelines.
- Determines program goals and objectives, and develops short-range and long-range plans for achieving strategic direction consistent with the VISN, VHA, and VA Strategic, Performance and Operating goals.
- Develops and maintains cooperative relationships with other Federal government agencies, local and state governments, community organizations and other health care providers in VAMC's service area.
- Fosters positive relations with the news media, Congressional staff, service organizations, and volunteer groups.
- As the Equal Employment Officer (EEO) for the VAMC, the Director has important motivational and executive leadership responsibilities with respect to planning, directing, reviewing, evaluating, and improving the EEO and other special employment initiatives required by statute, regulations, and policy.
Application Close Date
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Who May Apply
United States Citizens